By Kevin Dobbs
The last few months have been quite active in the SaaS market and here are some things that caught my attention:
Who would have believed that we would be seeing Initial Public Offerings after our recent recession but new offerings include SciQuest (NASDAQ: SQI), Qlik Technologies (NASDAQ: QLIK), Ancestory.com (NASDAQ: ACOM) and Financial Engines (NASDAQ: FNGN). There are a number of upcoming IPO’s including Talent Management provider Cornerstone OnDemand.
- You can tell the SaaS and Software markets continue to gain momentum based on the number of M&A deals over the past 90 days including Oracle buying Art Technology Group, hardware company Dell purchased SaaS integration firm Boomi, Deltek buys government market research firm INPUT, talent management leader SuccessFactors buys analytics firm Youcalc, Taleo purchasing Learn.com for $125M, recruiting firm Kenexa acquired Salary.com and even PE-owned SumTotal Systems buying Softscape.
- Firms that are making good progress in their SaaS transitions include Callidus (NASDAQ: CALD) and Plateau Systems.
- Software companies who seem to be having more trouble with their current subscription and license models include Concur (NASDAQ: CNQR), MicroStrategy (NASDAQ: MSTR), Manhattan Associates (NASDAQ: MANH), and SAP (NYSE: SAP).
- The Venture community continues to fund SaaS and Cloud Computing firms, several who have been profiled by this blog have received funding in the last six months (congrats!) internet billing firm Zuora lands $20M, Cloud management platform RightScale grabbed $25M, multi-tenancy Cloud platform firm Nimbula raises $15M, marketing automation provider Marketo, Bill.com, social platform provider Jive Software raises $30M, Gooddata and Cloud9 Analytics.
- SaaS, Software and Cloud Computing firms have also made some interesting management changes over the past few months including; ex-Oracle president Charles Phillips (video) moved over to become the new CEO at Infor, Taleo lands a new CFO former Palm executive Douglas Jefferies, Saba has added a SaaS-experienced CMO Karen Steele, SuccessFactors brings in seasoned President from Salesforce.com – Doug Dennerline, PeopleclickAuthoria Chairman Charles Jones returns as CEO to run company and well-respected analyst Ray Wang joins Constellation Research.